A Permissible Purpose for ordering a Credit Report will include one of the following:
1) The granting of credit
2) The collection of a debt
3) The underwriting of insurance
4) Employment purposes
5) For issuing a license as required by some government agencies
6) For a legitimate business transaction between a business and a consumer that is initiated by the consumer
You DO NOT have the authority to access consumer credit records unless:
· You have the party’s signed consent and release to request information on their behalf; or
· You have a signed agreement to enter into business negotiations with the person; or
· You have a signed judgment from a Court of Law against the person whose credit you are checking.
Any person who knowingly and willfully obtains information on a consumer from a consumer reporting agency under false pretenses shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both.